Saturday, April 13, 2013

Hooked

So what I thought would be a very simple repair turned into something quite difficult.  The seatbelt hooks in Dudley were broken and yellowing.

 To go along with my refreshed front seat belts, I purchased a pair of hooks from Chuck's Convertible Parts.  These two plastic hooks were $26 dollars for the pair!  What?!  You'd think for that amount of money, these would be quality hooks, made in German, perfect fit.   Nope.  First I discovered that the screw holes didn't fit the holes in the car.  This was an immediate sign of poor quality, though the plastic seemed clean.  No problem, I get the drill out and increased the size of a couple of screw holes so I could slide the hooks over ever so slightly.

Okay, that worked.  My next hurdle came when I tried to mount a seat belt...nope, wouldn't fit over the hook.  Come on!  So my next modification involved a metal file and some very fine white plastic shavings.   Yes, finally!  Got it!  Unfortunately what I found was that when the top is up, the seat belts become inaccessible when on the lower hook.  Fuck it, I'll just use the top hook.  Geez, I could have left things there way they were...

No comments:

Post a Comment