Saturday, March 9, 2013

Good luck, Charlie


Fayetteville
Brenda's Mean Green '76 Super Beetle
Mean Green SB Engine.  Damn, look at that shiny chrome!
After purchasing Dudley today, and can't help but feel pangs of guilt about "Charlie" or whatever in Fayetteville, NC.  This metallic green, 1976 VW Super Beetle was the first car I seriously looked at on my tour of the Mid-Atlantic.  Though it drove well (gear shift was very tight and brakes seemed a little TOO tight-whoa there horsey!), there was something about the car that just seem quite right.  Maybe it was the tricked out non-VW seats?  Maybe it was the curvy, wrap around Super Beetle windshield?  Maybe it was the mean grown (and no fweem) of the engine?  Maybe it was the kickin' stereo in the back?  Or maybe it was just Brenda, the lunatic owner.  Either way, I left there for Wilmington thinking, "pretty good, but not a perfect fit." And "what the fuck is the matter with that lady?"

 Of course, then I went to Wilmington and Newport News and looked at two clunkers.  By the time I got home, I was ready to make an offer to crazy Brenda.  We settled on $5,000--a steal!  And I spent the rest of the weekend trying to set up a pick-up time.  Nope, not Monday, she'd be out of town.  Tuesday?  Nope. Out of town.  She said that it would just have to wait till the weekend.  In the meantime, I got antsier.  I emailed her again, asking about maybe Thursday or Friday.  No answer.  I waited.  And waited.  Still no answer.  However, in the meantime, I went to Annapolis and looked at a really cool '67 convertible.  Well, it looked cool in the pictures.  A real 20-footer.  In real life, it was a faded, red clunker with Porsche hub-caps.  There was no Porsche in that car.  My last trip was to Winchester, VA where I met Dudley...
Wilmington, NC
1978 Fuel Injected VW Piece of Super Beetle

Annapolis
The Red '67 20-footer

Winchester
Dudley, the 1971 Super Beetle Convertible


No comments:

Post a Comment