Friday, March 29, 2013

Seat Belt Struggle

A three day Easter weekend, so I decided to do some hard core Beetle work.  Earlier this week I order $100 of parts from Chuck's Convertible Parts--lots of odds and ends for the interior.

The first undertaking was replacing the rear seat belts which looked like they had seen better days.

Old Seat Belt Set-up
Old Seat Belt Seat-up Under Rear Seat
Ugly Long-ass Bolt

Turns out that this was much more difficult that I originally planned.  I got the two female ends of the seat belts out no problem, but the same bolts that held those in also held the rear seat back.  When I removed the bolts, the metal pieces on the seat backs that the bolts went through contracted.  Long story short, I couldn't get the seat belts and rear seat to bolt back onto the car.  I wound up going to Lowe's to get a longer bolt, but it totally looks like shit.

Oh well, I replaced everything, wiped the rear seat off, and put it back on.  Everything looks nice, but knowing that wack bolt is under the seat bothers me.  I have a topic on theSamba forum right now to get some help.

New Rear Seatbelts!


No comments:

Post a Comment